Community support is key to achieving SHIP’s vision of equality across the systems that serve young people in Frederick County. There are many ways that you can make a difference in the life of someone experiencing housing insecurity.
Provide hygiene items
- Young people are often in need of basic hygiene items like shampoo and deodorant. SHIP collects these items at our office throughout the year. During the month of December, collection boxes are placed in businesses throughout the county. To make a donation, find a box or contact SHIP to drop items off at our office.
Set up a donation campaign on your Facebook page
- Offer your friends the opportunity to easily give to SHIP through Facebook. All you need to do is follow our page and create a post on yours with a donate button. You can do this any time, but asking others to donate for your birthday is a great idea!
Sign up as a host with our Thrive Host Home Program
- SHIP places young people in need of housing in safe, temporary, and welcoming spaces with volunteer hosts. While in the program, our counselors work directly with youth to create a plan to successfully exit the host home and enter into a more permanent housing arrangement.
Provide new clothing
- Join our SHIPmates Facebook group, where we request new clothing items as they are needed by youth in the community.
- SHIP provides food, clothing, funding for extracurricular activities, counseling services, and emergency shelter to homeless youth. Your donation, big or small, will help us to continue serving the community.
Participate in the Maryland Endurance Challenge
- Our annual event offers cycling athletes a chance to compete in a 12, 6, or 3 hour bike ride. The event benefits SHIP.
Spread the word
- Tell a friend, tell a neighbor, tell a stranger at the grocery store. Homeless youth often don’t know where to turn and SHIP relies heavily on referrals. We are here to help and we are better able to do so when people know where to find us.